Monday, July 11, 2016

Next items to tackle: Utilities

I can't bring myself to start reviewing our electricity and gas bills yet, although I know there is a great site that allows you to plug in your numbers and see if you can get a better deal - my friend Bec blogged about it over here. It's a government site called Victorian Energy Compare and apparently most households can save around $300 a year on their electricity bills.  That will be next week's job as I'm exhausted after all the excitement of changing insurance providers last week.

In the interim I thought I'd talk about mobile phones. Over the last 20 years I have wasted a lot of money going with the two big providers, Telstra and Optus. Both are ridiculously expensive. I have also moved on from feeling the need to get a new phone every 2 years, just because.

When my last contract was up I finally owned my phone (I was on a 2 year contract where you pay off the phone) and I was finally free to shop around. It became clear that the 2 cheapest/best value options were Amayasim and Aldi. I went with Aldi as it's on the Telstra network and I hated the Optus network coverage when I was with them.

And it is SO cheap! I used to pay over $60 a month for a similar plan, and I now pay $20/month. They tell me I could do the $15 a month plan with my current usage, but I like to have a bit of a buffer. Anyway, that's an annual saving of $480!

So if you own your phone I would strongly recommend shopping around for a better deal. The same goes for your home internet provider. I'm with TPG on a $50/month plan that provides 200GB, which is pretty cheap and was a very good deal when I signed up many years ago. I still think this is very good value, but with the advent of streaming most providers are now doing better deals for more (or even unlimited) data. So again, check your usage and shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment